The star had been planning to bring his One Hell Of A Nite world tour to the country in December

Chris Brown was convicted of assaulting former girlfriend Rihanna

Australia may block Chris Brown ‘s visa application, over his previous conviction for felony assault.

The star – who pleaded guilty to attacking former girlfriend Rihanna in February 2009 – had been planning to bring his One Hell Of A Nite world tour to the country in December but according to the authorities they may refuse to let him enter.

 Chris Brown's visa is currently under review by the Australian government
Chris Brown’s visa is currently under review by the Australian government

On Thursday Australia’s Minister for Women, Senator Michaelia Cash, said the government were reviewing Brown’s application and were not afraid to turn him down.

“People need to understand, if you are going to commit domestic violence and you want to travel around the world, there are going to be countries that say to you, ‘You cannot come in because you are not of the character that we expect in Australia'”, Senator Cash said.

Rex Brown appears at his sentencing for assaulting Rihanna
Brown appears at his sentencing for assaulting Rihanna

The statement was made at the same time as Prime Minister Malcolm Turnball announced a national domestic violence prevention program.

While he’s been banned from the UK since 2010, he has previously been allowed into Australia in 2011, where he performed a string of dates on his F.A.M.E world tour.

Getty Chris Brown and Rihanna rekindled their romance in 2013 for a brief few months
Chris Brown and Rihanna rekindled their romance in 2013 for a brief few months

It isn’t the first time the singer’s past convictions have come back to haunt him.

The star was forced to cancel a concert in Montreal just hours before he was meant to take to the stage, when his turn bus was turned away at the Canada-U.S. border.

Chris Brown performs during his Between The Sheets Tour in February 2015

Chris Brown performs during his Between The Sheets Tour in February 2015

“The good people of the Canadian government wouldn’t allow me entry. I’ll be back this summer and will hopefully see all my Canadian fans!” Brown tweeted at the time.

A spokesperson for Brown, Nicole Perna, said at the time that he was refused entry due to “immigration issues”.

Advertisements